Date:      Tue, 09 May 2000 18:07:27 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: borked Alpha boot loader?

"Kenneth D. Merry" wrote:
> On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 16:59:14 -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
> > > Does anyone have any ideas for recovering it, other than trying to netboo
> > > it off another box?  (I don't have any other Alpha boxes I could put the
> > > disk into, and DEC Unix on that machine doesn't seem to want to boot for
> > > some reason.)
> > >
> > > I actually saved the working loader as /boot/loader.works, but using the
> > > -file option to SRM's boot command doesn't seem to work.
> >
> > When the box boots, you get a couple of seconds pause after SRM has
> > finished spewing at you and before the loader loads.  Hit a key and
> > you'll get the emergency boot: prompt.  Type '/boot/loader.works' and you
> > should be in business.
>
> Unfortunately that doesn't work.  I can hit all sorts of keys, but they
> don't get me a boot prompt.

I had that problem a while ago. My original install had a broken set of
bootblocks that didn't accept they keyboard break as expected.  I had never
got around to refreshing them with a disklabel -B da0.

I ended up getting out of it by:

- creating an alpha boot floppy using the SRM "bootable" checksum tweaks
  on an i386.  You could once do this by manually activating the
  #ifdef __alpha code to calculate the checksum.
- I got the old loader and bootblocks etc from beast.freebsd.org I think.
- I do not remember from there, I'm pretty sure I was able to boot from
  floppy ("boot eva0" ?), then change the root device to the disk and load
  the kernel from there.

Cheers,
-Peter