Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 10:01:19 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, developers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src Makefile.inc1

Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 10:22:58AM -0400, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
> [...]
> >  > I has successfully built 5.0-CURRENT alpha world and GENERIC
> >  > kernel on a 4.1-RELEASE machine.
> >
> > Nice!  Do powerpc or sparc64 worlds build yet?
> >
> I don't believe so, but it we have a working cross-compiler, this
> should be a one-week task.

One thing that would be nice, and I have not had the patience to sit down
and figure it out yet, is find some way to specify and use an *external*
cross compiler and/or toolchain to do the cross build and exclude the
in-tree compiler and/or toolchain.

For example, the only thing that doesn't build on ia64 is the in-tree gcc.
If it were possible to say:
 make TARGET_ARCH=ia64 EXTERNAL_CROSS_TOOLS=/usr/local/ia64/bin
   DESTDIR=/ia64 buildworld
where /usr/local/ia64/bin had gcc, cc, as, ld, nm etc in it and have the
world build skip the gcc-cross build (it will still need to build the
host-gcc in order to build the rest of the build-tools), then that would be
abosolutely wonderful. :-)  I suspect this wont be too hard if it's done
right, but I haven't sat down and walked through it.  It may be as simple
as plugging the supplied path into the cross $PATH and avoiding building
local cross tools.  This would probably require NO_GCC= and/or NO_BINUTILS=
options as well (or NO_CROSS_GCC and/or NO_CROSS_BINUTILS to control
skipping just the final stages of building the toolchain that is targeted
to the [maybe unsupported yet] TARGET_ARCH)

The amount of pain and suffering that this would save while bringing up
a new port or compiler etc would be rather significant.

Cheers,
-Peter