Date:      Thu, 9 Jul 1998 07:39:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chris Coleman <chris@bb.cc.wa.us>
To:        cliff ainsworth III <cliff@cliffsworld.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD E-Zine?

On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, cliff ainsworth III wrote:

> Something we also might consider when deciding on a format.
>
> BeOS's <http://www.be.com/aboutbe/benewsletter>; is a decent and informative
> format. Its an email only. Silicon Alley News
> <http://www.siliconalleynews.com>; is an email only but it actually
> duplicates what is on the site for that week. They catch readers coming and
> going. ZDNET and CNET, email specials where there is a paragraph teaser
> with a link back to the site for the full story.

This is kinda what I plan to do with the RQN.  Publish the RQN over e-mail
and get everybody's attention and point them to the E-zine.

> Will we have enough fresh articles for a once a week zine or every two
> weeks? It has to be consistent, we don't want to fall into UGU's once every
> month and a half or so mailing.

This will depend on how many people we get.  I am going to shoot for a
longer time between publishings.  As we get submissions and such, publish
more frequently.  I plan the RealQuick Newsletter for a monthly mailing,
and get enough stuff to mail it bi-weekly.  I'm just trying to be
realistic as we start out.

> After we get enough subscribers I guess it would be possible to charge to
> sponsor the mailing. Silicon Alley news has truly mastered that angle. Or
> will charging cause accounting problems on FreeBSD's end?

This will take some thought, but it is worth consideration.

> If we follow the email w/website format....
>
> I like the idea of the newbie column as we can redirect readers to those
> portions of the FreeBSD.org site. We could have a section of product
> launches. This would certainly get us noticed by companies that have
> products that run on FreeBSD. We could probably even have a bleeding edge
> section as well. Maybe highlights on people/entities working on real
> interesting uses of FreeBSD. An events section...etc. Although I think many
> things written about in the e-zine will probably  be duplicated in the
> mailing lists, we might be able to grab a different audience with the e-zine.
>
> Why not have an international section as well?
>
> I think we should also track the events in Japan. They have a great user
> base as well. Maybe somebody on the Japanese end of FreeBSD could email us
> whats going on over there and we can include it. Maybe they would print
> what is happening over here in their local language version. We could do
> this with other languages too.
>
> And as much as I hate the word "webring" perhaps those of us who run our
> own sites would consider mirroring the zine on their sites and forming one.
> Count me in on it. We can never reach 100% market saturation but we
> certainly can aspire to it. This might be a great way to expand our
> community a little more.

Lots of wonderful Ideas. I like them.

> And what about a name for our e-'zine? How about "The FreeBSD Advocate" ?

Any Objections to this name?  I kinda like it.

Christopher J. Coleman (whyareyou@lookingforme.com)
Computer Support Analyst I  (509)-762-6341
FreeBSD Book Project:  http://www.vmunix.com/fbsd-book/