Date:      Tue, 26 May 1998 21:05:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Antuan Avdioukhine <antuan@eltex.spb.ru>
Cc:        FreeBSD Support <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Adaptec Cogent Quartet network card

On Mon, 25 May 1998, Antuan Avdioukhine wrote:

> Gentlemen,
>    Some starnge things happened when I installed Cogent Quartet card
> under FreeBSD 2.2.6. This card provides four single-bridged
> DEC21140A-based 10/100 TX adapters. After boot all adapters are detected
> correctly and become devices de0 to de3. Now only de0 interface connected
> to LAN, de1 to de3 are down-ed. But after boot driver reports "link cable
> problem", ifconfig reported "no carrier". When I manually change media
> from "autosence" to "10baseT/UTP" and then back to "autosence" -- links
> restores after "ifconfig de0 up" command. Can anyone comment this
> phenomenon?

Working as advertised.  I assume that there is nothing plugged into the
Quartet card.  I think it gives up after a while if it doesn't detect any
connection at either 10mbit or 100mbit -- ifconfig down/up resets the
autodetect sequence.  If you're going to do this a lot fix the media type
with ifconfig or the setup program.  We have several of these cards and
need to test them, but a Kingston card based on the same chip does the
same thing.