Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 1995 23:12:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        kline@tao.thought.org (Gary D. Kline)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to play an *.au file?

> On my Sun at work I've got a neat *.au of Big Ben sounding, and a script
> that sounds the bong on the hour.  The script uses the sun ``play''
> binary, but I haven't found anything equivalent on my 2.0.5 CD ROM.
>
> So what's the FreeBSD equivalent?  When I cat the file to /dev/audio,
> it hangs...

Well do you have an audio board in your machine?
has it been configured into the kernel?

if not (A) you can still do audio (at Lo-Fi) by compiling
in the pcaudio device (pca) and CATting the file to /dev/pcaudio

recognisable sound but bretty poor quality though
(from that tiny speeker that goes 'Beep' sometimes..)