Date:      Tue, 29 Feb 2000 13:54:39 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        jason sonic <sonic_jtx@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dail up

jason sonic wrote to questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> hello, I am Jason.  I have just began running FreeBSD
> 4.0 current.  I am having trouble though making a
> dialup connection to the internet.  I use an ISP.
> Plus when I try to enter things like /etc/remote or
> /dev/whatever it tells me permission is denied.  Can
> you tell me why.  when I do all of this I am using my
> root login.

Problem being, you are trying to execute files that are not meant to be
executed.  Even root can't execute a file from a shell without first
setting the exec bit on the file.  In any case, you're doing it wrong.

You need to use a text editor to modify most files in /etc.  You should
NOT attempt to modify any devices in /dev; you will experience
errors or strange results.  Use MAKEDEV instead.

Read the extensive handbook section on PPP:

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ppp-and-slip.html

It contains some really good information on getting started.

Also:

http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/ppp/

Also:

http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/ppp.html

Also:

man ppp

Read, read, read, my friend.  And, after having done so, if you still have
questions, feel free to post a more specific problem so someone can help
you in detail.

> And, on the installation it told me that
> lynx would not be able to run properly on mine.  Isn't
> there a Netscape Navigator that runs under unix?

Yes, there is... In fact, Netscape has been ported directly to FreeBSD. It
is available in the ports collection:

http://www.freebsd.org/ports/

Or, in /usr/ports/net/communicator* if you have installed the ports tree.

> Well, that you for your time and I would appreciate
> any help you could give me.  thank you.  and if your
> not sure how it would have to be done on 4.0, could
> you tell at least how to get it done under 3.4?  thanks....jason(s0n1c)

I would recommend against using 4.0 at the time being.  It hasn't even
been released yet, and there are some definite problems with it.  It is
still the -CURRENT branch, and is usually destined for experienced
developers and testers only.

If you can wait for the new features, I would recommend installing 3.4 and
cvsupping to -STABLE.

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2