Date:      Sat, 4 Nov 2000 22:18:12 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: user-space resource information...

On Sat, Nov 04, 2000 at 11:52:35 -0800, Mike Smith wrote:
> > I'm wondering if this should have its own program, rather than squat
> > in on iostat ?
>
> Adding yet another program for such a trivial fragment of code seems
> kinda silly.  If/when someone uses the other interfaces as well to get
> the full device tree extracted, that probably belongs elsewhere, but
> right now iostat is as good a place as any for this I think.

I think vmstat(8) might be a better fit than iostat.  vmstat already
displays kernel memory usage (-m), interrupt usage (-i), paging stats (-s),
and zone allocator stats (-z).

iostat only displays cpu, tty and disk I/O.

Since vmstat already has "kitchen sink" type functionality (i.e. a wide
variety of uses), I think it would probably work better to put this new
functionality there.

iostat is also designed primarily for continuous output use -- displaying a
line of stats every N seconds.  vmstat is also designed for that in its
default output mode, but most of the other displays I mentioned above are
one-shot displays, like the rman code.  So one more wouldn't hurt.

The only thing that would recommend iostat for the rman code is the name,
I think.  (I/O ports, iostat, etc.)

So, I'd like to request that you use vmstat instead of iostat.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org