Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2006 22:52:52 -0400
From:      Darek M <darek@nyi.net>
To:        "Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET" <ml@t-b-o-h.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nologin: Attempted login by root on UNKNOWN

Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET wrote:

> Hey Darek,
>
> 	Good to hear from NYI. :)

Heh, are you a customer, or just familiar with the company?

> 	SSH is TCPWrapper'd, and only *1* machine in the entire
> datacenter can access it (Typical "jump box" configuration).

http://lists.debian.org/debian-wnpp/2006/05/msg00092.html

Does root have /bin/nologin for the shell?  If it does, then the UNKNOWN
would refer to the terminal,  Just the way the 'nologin' binary is set
to log to syslog.  Basically means that someone tried to log in as root,
but before they could even provide a password, the nologin binary kicked
them off.  That's why the terminal type is set to UNKNOWN because it
hadn't been set yet.

You'll have to figure out how that person is getting access as
apparently they are reaching the box.

- Darek