Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2012 01:04:49 +1000
From:      Da Rock <freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Intercepting X11 events

I'm not 100% sure where else to ask this. I have an annoying window that
disappears when I click close (ha ha, yes I know it will usually do
that, but this one doesn't go away) but it is unable to cooperate with
the system tray so it simply becomes "invisible", and hangs about in the
background.

In my investigationings I had a brainwave that since I cannot change the
program (not without enormous effort) in the short term, maybe I can
find a way to terminate the program and manage it externally with a script.

So I'm looking to find a wrapper, or a script that can intercept the
close event and kill the process (can't find a better way to handle it).
Any ideas?

The DE is lightweight (Icewm, LXDE, similar) so the tray is either non
existent or incompatible; the app itself is (#%$&!) java. Yep, thats
right - it only speaks Gnome/KDE...

Cheers

Afterword: And yes, it took me that long to figure out the Java systray
problem and the lack of a solution in my googling.