Date:      Mon, 25 May 1998 05:39:43 -0500
From:      Zach Heilig <zach@gaffaneys.com>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>, Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Softupdates panic (got it!)

On Mon, May 25, 1998 at 08:20:36AM +0200, Andreas Klemm wrote:
> On Sat, May 23, 1998 at 02:30:09AM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
> > thanks
> > we're collecting these for a blitz next week.

> Here on my SMP system it runs flawlessly since days.
> Just wanted to let you know.

Ah, but how full are your disks, I have my system partitioned like:

Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd1s4a     89287    73519     8626    89%    /usr

When there is softupdates on '/usr', 'make installworld' causes a kernel panic
regularly.  After watching it in action for awhile, and seeing that space is
not reclaimed for several seconds; I can guess that the deletion delay causes
/usr to fill up, and that causes the problem I see.

--
Zach Heilig -- zach@gaffaneys.com
Real Programs don't use shared text.  Otherwise, how can they use