Date:      Sun, 10 Jun 2001 19:02:37 -0500
From:      Dave Uhring <duhring@charter.net>
To:        Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>, FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Improvements for FreeBSD v4.3.1-Release?

On Sunday 10 June 2001 18:31, Chris BeHanna wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Jun 2001, Juha Saarinen wrote:
> > On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Kenneth Mays wrote:
> > > 2. Journalling FS (what's the best one out there?)
> >
> > XFS from SGI seems pretty good, and the guys could do with some support
> > and recognition -- http://oss.sgi.com
>
>     I'll have to take a look.
>
>     I just set up a "transmeta" device under Solaris to journal a UFS
> filesystem that I set up on a RAID5 device.  We'll have to see how
> that goes.
>
>     FWIW, Solaris 8 appears to have a journaling option for UFS
> itself.
>
>     (Not trumpeting Solaris, just offering a different perspective
> from which someone might draw a useful idea.)

For a first-hand look at XFS, you can do a Linux install of RedHat-7.1 by
beginning the install with a CD made from SGI's XFS iso available at

ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/download/

I have one of these systems set up and the journalling doesn't to slow the
system much at all.  Also had a power failure and the system survived its
"smoke test" without damage.

Since XFS is GPL'd, inclusion with the FreeBSD kernel seems problematic,
however.