Date:      Tue, 06 Oct 1998 21:15:55 +0000
From:      Gilad Rom <rom_glsa@ein-hashofet.co.il>
To:        Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Graphical Desktop for FreeBSD.

Alex wrote:

> CVSup has it's own GUI, and while not for iij-ppp, KDE has a nice little
> dialer that works with the version of pppd included with fbsd.

CVSup does not have a GUI in that sense, it is merely a simple status
display,
And since I know how much trouble newbies are having with supfiles and
selection,
a small configuration tool with help and such will greatly reduce the
number of people
with difficulties.

Same goes for ijppp, The fact remains that alot of people are using it,
It is alot easier to setup than pppd and generally one of good things
We here at FreeBSD have that these guys dont.
Im not talking fully blown dialers with accounting information and such.
Just a simple tool which you will only need to run once, to write down
your
ISP's phone number/name server, After all, you DO pick up all of this
stuff
after a few weeks of using FreeBSD.

[...]

> I think this is the basic goal of both Gnome and KDE, and while I would
> lean more towards making KDE the default, I think it's probably best to
> leave something as neutral as twm the default.  That said, I think that
> some sysinstall extension to allow one to select a desktop "theme"
> (perhaps, E!, Gnome or KDE, etc, etc) would be a better idea (or at least
> second best).

You have to remember that having KDE as default means installing both
QT,
the KDE libs and a number of other dependencies that really bloats the
initial X
installation. GTK+ will just need X installed, and consumes far less
memory than
the other ones do.

> > If anyone has any comments on that, Please do reply.
>
> This all assumes, that attracting the l33t Linux crowd is a good thing.

Not necessarily. People stick with linux because they like it. And hey,
We
cant run Winnukes or those evil teardrop attacks "out-of-the-box", so
were no good,
Right? :)

> - alex

bye, Gilad.