Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 1999 09:16:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Kris Zentner <darxpryte@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        Edwin Culp <eculp@MexComUSA.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new printer driver (nlpt0) woes

On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, Kris Zentner wrote:

> I think I might have posted it to the list but here's what works for me
> now (apsfilter works dandy too).
>
> # Parallel port and friends. This replaces lpt0 (see lint or man pages)
> controller       ppbus0
> device           nlpt0   at ppbus?
> device           ppc0    at isa? port? tty irq 7

Changing from "net", as supplied in the GENERIC kernel to "tty"
solved my garbage problems.  Searching through the mailing list
archives I even saw suggestions for using "cam".   Could someone
in the know (a) explain the implications of the different options
and (b) document this in LINT, and GENERIC?

It used to be that I could use a port as both printer port and as
a network port without reconfiguration.  Now it appears as though
I have to reconfigure, recompile and reboot to do the same?  I'm
not sure that represent progress.

I'll grant that the new arrangement is probably a lot more
flexible, but it is unfortunate that correct configuration for
the common case (just a printer) has been greatly complicated.

-john