Date:      Tue, 12 May 1998 21:36:21 +0800
From:      "Paul King" <paulk@ether.online.sh.cn>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Heavy Load Apache Server on FreeBSD - Performance Tune?

I build a heavy load apache server on FreeBSD server, my sever config is:

PII/233, 128M, 4G SCSI HD

And I modify the kernel paraments as:

maxusers 256
options SHMMNI=65
options SHMSEG=33

options NMBCLUSTERS=4096
options CHILD_MAX=512
options OPEN_MAX=1024

and in my web site, most of pages are dynamic, (some are include more than 8
CGI).

While the server first startup, i found that when the System's processes
number reach to 280, the CGI will not execute and Apache report "mod_cgi,
couldn't spawn child process error", and when i disconnect it from net, i
found it will recover till the some processes end. And while i Stop Apache
and Restart It, the ERROR will apear while more than 80 processes.

I had check the memory usage, socket state, and file open state, and i found
the system resource is enough.

I want to make the site one of LARGEST site in China, I want to resolve the
problem.

Can SomeBody Help ME?

Regrads