Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 1997 02:00:08 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>
Cc:        The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@cybercom.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why so many steps to build new kernel?

> If I were to write another (smaller, and more acceptable) CUI
> would you be interested in using it in sysinstall also?

YES!  YES!  Or, to put it another way, YES! :-)

The alternative is TurboVision and, as much as I rather like it as a
CUI toolkit and find its look-and-feel to be second to none in the CUI
domain (in fact, I think I can say without fear of hyperbole that it
goes about as far as it's possible to go with a CUI, period), there's
just this big huge problem with it.  It's in C++.  I hate C++ and so
do just about all of the other installation hackers, so we have
something of an impasse in the interface group right now (heck, for
the last 8 months even).

Give me something that's written in straight C and easy to wrap into
TCL (which should be possible unless you decide to pass all kinds of
nasty structures around and expose that in the C API) and I'll be your
friend for life.  OK, so maybe that doesn't sound like such a treat,
so let me just say that I'd really really appreciate it and so would
many others. :)

We basically just need:

	o Buttons - pushbutton, radio, checkbox.

	o Scrolling list menus (or scrolling arrays of buttons,
	  however you want to conceptualize it)

	o Entry fields with reasonably emacs-like character editing
	  support.

	o Scrolling text boxes and simple text fields.

	o Checkbox / Radio
	o Gauges.

	o Compound dialogs.

	o Simple forms entry.

And we could do everything that sysinstall does messily with libdialog
today.  Support for color and the mouse would be optional niceties,
but not strictly necessary.  Would have to look reasonably decent in
at least syscons and xterm (vt100) display modes and that's about it.

What do you think?

						Jordan