Date:      Mon, 01 Mar 2004 11:41:37 -0800
From:      Jason Williams <jwilliams@courtesymortgage.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD on machines with RAID

>    I would like to know if its possible to run Free BSD on IBM machines
>    with a RAID controller (SCSI hard drives are used). I have tried
>    installing it but the system keeps on freezing continuously during
>    setup, the same system works perfectly with other OS's.

What type of IBM machines are you using? I have a couple of ibm X345 series
servers here. If your servers came with the ServRAID card, FreeBSD 4.9 will
not be able to detect the card. It does not have support yet. However, 5.2
will.

I ran into a similar situation and ended up replacing the IBM servRaid card
with a Adapatec RAID card. I installed the card, fired up the FreeBSD
install and it detected it no problem.

>    Please let me know if anyone has a solution for this.
>
>    Regards,
>
>    Jagadish

Hope this helps.

Jason