Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2005 00:01:15 -0800
From:      Tim Traver <tt-list@simplenet.com>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Running i386 scripts in 5.3

Hi all,

ok, I have read a bunch of the posts on the subject, and it seems like a
fairly complicated subject.

I have recently purchased a Tyan Dual Opteron machine that I am pretty
happy with so far. I have FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE for amd64 installed, and
it is running good.

However, I didn't realize that there are several binaries that I need to
run that are i386 binaries, and there is no way for me to re-compile them.

I've tried the /usr/src/tools/lib32/build32.sh script, and although it
appeared to work, there were many wanrings. When trying to run my
binaries, it get core dumps.

Is there a better way to do this ? or should I just recompile the kernel
using i386 to be sure ?

If I go the route of making the operating system i386, what am I really
losing in the way of performance ?

And is there a roadmap to get a nice clean method for running i386
binaries ? what about i386 binaries from 4.x ?

I just wanted to post this question before I went ahead and basically
rebult the system, just in case there was an easy way of doing this. I
hate to get a cutting edge 64 bit system and have to run it in full 32
bit mode...

Thanks,

Tim.