Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 19:42:21 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
To:        Chris Canova <canovac@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: STB TV/FM Tuner, No Sound

Chris Canova:
 |Hi i'm having trouble with my STB TV/FM Tuner, I'm able to see video running
 |from the cable in, but i'm unable to hear any sound.  I am assuming sound is
 |supported thru the card and my soundcard.  I've checked with gmixer, and no
 |lines (to me) seem to be muted.
 |I've checked the cord that runs from the AUDIO OUT port of my TV Tuner, into
 |the Tuner IN port of my sound card.  XMMS works.  I would really like to get
 |this working, since it does work in windows.  Any ideas?  I also get this
 |error when it starts (again, video comes up but no sound):

Try plugging a headphone into the back of the TV card.  If that doesn't
give you audio with Fxtv tuned into a channel, it's probably a tuner config
issue.

 |Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DGA" missing on display ":0.0".
 |Direct Video not supported by visual...using XImages

As Jason said, you really want this if you can get it (better frame rates
and lower CPU usage).  I'm running 4.0.3 as well (albeit with a Matrox
G200) with DGA support.  You can run Fxtv to check, or here's a quicker
test to let you know when you're configured right:

     > xdpyinfo | grep DGA
     XFree86-DGA

And make sure you "don't" have this in your XF86Config:

     SubSection "extmod"
        Option  "omit XFree86-DGA"
     EndSubSection

Randall