Date:      Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:03:27 +0200
From:      Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
To:        David Sze <dsze@alumni.uwaterloo.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hitachi vs Seagate: Opinions wanted

David Sze <dsze@alumni.uwaterloo.ca> writes:

> If you will be using a motherboard with an LSI Logic chipset (mpt driver
> under FreeBSD), definitely do _not_ get Hitachi/IBM drives.

There's more than one LSI chipset (there are at least the sym, mpt and
amr cards, sym for 53c8xx and 53c1010, mpt for 53c1020 and 53c1030, AMR
for MegaRAID stuff).

> There's a weird interaction that causes the OS not to boot if there is
> more than one Hitachi drive attached to an mpt controller.  A single
> drive works fine.

That might be a matter of the BIOS in question.

--
Matthias Andree

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95 (PGP/MIME preferred)