Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 2009 21:59:24 -0800
From:      Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.current@mailing.thruhere.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Call for regression and performance testing - 8.0

On Wednesday 12 August 2009 04:29:35 Robert Watson wrote:

> We actually have a sizable regression test suite in src/tools/regression --
> some of these tools will have broken as a result of 8-CURRENT development,
> so the first task may be to fix them.  The next is to run them on 7-STABLE
> and 8-CURRENT and decide if things have gotten worse -- or maybe we have a
> bug to fix in both.  Pick the tool of your choice, and give it a spin.
> More than one person per tool is fine, because that way we get more diverse
> testing.

Well, there's one regression that prevents me from testing a regression. In
gmirror(8) and still on 8.x it is described how to do kernel dumps on a
gmirror, using /etc/rc.early. Yet, /etc/rc.d/early.sh has been removed and a
grep for early in the /etc tree, has not shown me that there's a replacement
in place.

I'm trying to see coming sunday (downtime) if a bug has re-occured in 8.x
(kern/122572) and would like to de-activate one component of the mirror,
install, reboot and if garbage is written to the disk again, use livefs tools
+ rc.early to boot from the de-activated mirror.

So my questions are:
- What should really be in NOTES for gmirror(8) in 8.x?
- Is it possible to deactivate a mirror component, hose the active component
and nextboot from the deactivated one, preferably without opening the case?
--
Mel