Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 20:16:48 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        cpl92@fx.ro
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sever ide hdd crash (also re:Another instance of the crash I was seeing)

As cpl92@fx.ro wrote...
> Hi,
>
> I experienced yesterday a sever ide hdd crash. My computer is not
> operating these days, so please answer also to this address I'm using
> now.

[ stuff deleted ]

> computer I received the BIOS message PRIMARY HDD FAILURE. Since then, my
> BIOS says that I don't have a HDD inside (actually I have a Quantum
> Fireball UDMA 4.3 Gb). I hope that the vendor will change the damaged
> hdd, but I am quite sure that this is a very serious problem in FreeBSD
> kernel.

?? What makes you believe FreeBSD has a 'kiss of death' bug for IDE
harddisks? Harddisks die every now and then. There is nothing an
OS can do about that fact of life.

Although it would be amusing to see a class action against Microsoft for
every harddisk that died using Windows... ;-)

Wilko