Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 1997 12:31:19 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@korin.warman.org.pl>
To:        Sean Eric Fagan <sef@Kithrup.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SecurID authentication

On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, Sean Eric Fagan wrote:

> In article <Pine.NEB.3.95.970312131817.813B-100000.kithrup.freebsd.hackers@korin.warman.org.pl> you write:
> >system. In other words: the modifications require some pieces of
> >proprietary code, which you will have if you install the ACE/Server
> >software (and BSDI client). Then I can send the diffs to original
> >ACE/Client software, and to the FreeBSD's login.c.
>
> freebsd now has support for the login.conf stuff, similar to BSD/OS.  So you
> shouldn't need to patch login.c, just use the appropriate authentication
> module.

Yes, I've read the code and manpages and it looks very good. But...

As far as I know, this support isn't complete yet. Specifically, there
don't exist /usr/libexec/login_* modules yet. So, for now this isn't an
option. Maybe some day somebody will write or port the missing pieces...

Correct me, please, if I'm wrong.

On the same subject: as I perceive it, there are quite a few options of
doing authentication in FreeBSD, this way or the other, and some
mysterious hooks to nonexistent pieces of code. Some people prefer
login.conf, and others try to port the PAM modules. IMHO, this subject
lacks overall coordination... and perhaps some efforts are spent on
implementing mutually exlusive architectures...

Andy,

Andrzej Bialecki <abial@warman.org.pl>    _)    _)   _)_)   _)_)_) _)  _)
Research and Academic Network in Poland   _)  _)_) _)_)_)_)     _) _) _)
Bartycka 18, 00-716 Warsaw, Poland        _)    _) _)    _) _)_)_) _)  _)