Date:      Thu, 08 Aug 2002 11:55:15 +1000
From:      Rob B <rbyrnes@ozemail.com.au>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: not dead yet?

At 03:31 8/08/2002, Andrew Gallatin sent this up the stick:

>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=4842

There's an interesting thread on this at the moment on RedHat's axp-list
mailing list:

Quote ="David Mihail"

> [...]
>21264E, it's done in .18um, not .13um, which makes it an EV68 variant, not
>EV69.  Also, it already runs at 1.25GHz.  And that's using Aluminum instead
>of Copper, and no SOI.  It's also a big chip, ~300mm2, so it's probably not
>going to be cheap, especially considering that Samsung gets lousy yields on
>"standard" Alphas.  And I mean lousy.  And going from a 115mm2 die to a
>300mm2 die is just going to make their yields worse, which will jack up the
>price even more.  You can't really blame them, though, Samsung specializes
>in manufacturing SRAM/DRAM/Flash and LCDs, not microprocessors.  It's a
>little bit different.
>
>As far as the EV69 goes, it's actually an IBM part.  It's done in .13um with
>both Copper and SOI.  Takes up a die space of ~60-70mm2.  It runs at
>~1.5GHz.  Considering that nobody, not even Intel, makes processors as well
>as IBM does, and taking the smaller die into consideration, I'd say that
>yields aren't going to be as much of an issue.  Can we get our hands on
>them?  I don't know.  Might not do us much good if we could, it might not be
>a drop in replacement.  *Standard* EV6x is in a 587-pin package.  EV69, I've
>heard (which definitely makes it a rumor) is in a 600+ pin package.  We also
>don't know whether IBM is allowed to sell them to anyone other than HPQ.
>
>*Can* Samsung continue producing Alpha for as long as they want and make
>whatever changes they want to it?  Yes they can.  *Will* they do so?  Well,
>that's what I'm working on.  Everybody here needs to understand that Compaq
>bent them over a barrel and didn't even have the common courtesy to give
>them a reach around.  Sorry for the vulgarity, but that's the situation.
>Have you ever seen a dog that's been repeatedly and sorely beaten?  Do you
>think that dog is going to trust you and come when it's called?  Even if
>you're the new owner and have never touched it, do you think it'll trust you
>now?  No, it won't.  It takes a while to build up that trust again.
>
>So what's the point of that?  Samsung needs it to be worth their while to
>continue fabbing Alpha.  Since my name's already been mentioned, sure, I'll
>confirm that I'm doing absolutely everything that I can to see that we get
>new Alphas.  But it takes time.  And we have to take care of Samsung.  The
>problem is that there's a certain volume that they need, and the simple fact
>of the matter is that under the current model of using Alphas in mid- to
>high-end servers, with no new Alphas on the roadmap, it's just not going to
>happen.  We're talking a full order of magnitude more of sales.  There's
>only one way that it will happen, and that's to make Alpha the heart of a
>general purpose computer (that's right, I just said it needs to be a PC, an
>AlphaPC, like the MacPC, but not sucky), and you need something other than
>Linux for that.  You can disagree with me all you want, but it's fact.

Cheers,
Rob

PS: Apologies - sigmonster has been bad today :)

--
We should build an Intel processor out of penguins.

This is random quote 1147 of a collection of 1254
[15200.8 km (8207.8 mi), 262.8 deg](Apparent) Rennerian