Date:      Tue, 15 May 2001 21:51:27 +0200 (CEST)
From:      ernst@jollem.com
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/27358: Naming scheme for JDK ports (java)

>Number:         27358
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       Naming scheme for JDK ports (java)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
The ports for the different JDKs do not seem to conform to a certain naming
scheme. The currently available JDKs are listed below.

   Port name             Version  Platform  Provider
   ----------------      -------  --------  --------
   java/jdk              1.1      FreeBSD   FreeBSD
   java/jdk12-beta       1.2      FreeBSD   FreeBSD
   java/linux-jdk        1.2      Linux     Blackdown
   java/linux-jdk13      1.3      Linux     Sun

A new JDK is in the process of being submitted as a new port:

   Port name             Version  Platform  Provider
   ----------------      -------  --------  --------
   java/???              1.3      Linux     IBM

And other JDKs may qualify as candidates as well:

   Port name             Version  Platform  Provider
   ----------------      -------  --------  --------
   java/???              1.1      Linux     IBM
   java/???              1.2      Linux     IBM
   java/???              1.2      Linux     Sun

And what if both Bill Huey and Greg Lewis would come up with a native JDK 1.3
for FreeBSD? Perhaps we should leave such situations out of the picture for a
moment, but something like this *may* happen.

If me or anybody else would like to add one of these JDKs, then what would
have to be the name for this port? I know that we could ofcourse find unique
names, but perhaps we should come up with a naming scheme, apply it to the
existing JDK ports and apply it to any new JDK ports.

>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
One possible naming scheme would be the following:

   * For native FreeBSD JDK ports, name the port "jdkXX" where XX is the major
     (2-digit) version number of the JDK, for example "11", "12", "13" or
     "14".

   * If there would be multiple native JDK ports, then these could be
     distinguished by using the name "PPP-jdkXX" where PPP is the name of the
     provider.

   * For Linux JDK ports, name the port "linux-PPP-jdkXX" where PPP is the
     name of the provider in lowercase, for example "blackdown", "ibm", "sun"
     or "inprise". And XX is again the major (2-digit) version number of the
     JDK.

Any suggestions?