Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 1999 11:56:03 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steveroo@mothra.bri.hp.com>
To:        Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.2REL, 34Gb IDE + AMD K7

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Kenneth Wayne Culver wrote:
> Well, with your setup with the cyls and heads and all, you have to make
> sure that your custom kernel thinks you are using LBA, Generic actually
> doesn't use any flags at all, what I would suggest doing (if you havn't
> already) is taking all flags off the wdc0 and wdc1 devices, and step by
> step adding each one in until you get a problem; then you will be able to
> pinpoint the problem if it is with the flags. This is what I suspect, but
> I can't be sure as the biggest drive I have is 8.4 GB.

I set the flags for GENERIC in the startup userconfig to 0xb0ffb0ff, the flags
have the desired affect so that LBA, DMA etc are recognized at startup.

FreeBSD only seems to have a problem once it is actually using beyond 32Gb of
the disk. (if I boot from GENERIC or CD.) i.e. as soon as I'm using the last
partition on the disk if it is ufs. (dos partitions at the end don't matter,
and windows98 is okay because I'm using the drivers supplied with the
motherboard - although I'm not too sure I trust it all.)

My thinking is that, and I could be (probably am) wrong :

All the ide stuff needs to be fixed up so that cylinders aren't stored as an
unsigned short, and basically ata4 support is included.
[see /sys/i386/isa/wdreg.h]

That's probably quite a bit of work though, but I really don't know...

If anyone knows how difficult this is, or if anyone is working on it, then
I'd be interested in hearing about it.

	Steve