Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 2000 10:20:58 -0700
From:      Tim Pozar <pozar@lns.com>
To:        Bryan Collins <bryan@casper.spirit.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Remote FM Radio

On Fri, Apr 07, 2000 at 04:13:54PM +1000, Bryan Collins wrote:
> I have a few FreeBSD servers in different geographical locations, connected via
> internal links.
>
> I had an idea to somehow listen to the FM radio stations available in the
> area my servers are located in.
>
> My thoughts were something along the lines of a BT878 type card in
> each remote server, which can stream a tuned station across my internal
> links to my location.
>
> Has anybody played with this kind of setup?
> I havent investigated too much along the lines of software, thought I'd
> ask the experts first!
> Theres some cool stations I'm missing out on in other areas :-)

I have done exactly this.  I have set up two FreeBSD boxes so far
and working on two more.

The two I have going right now are for KKSF (San Francisco) and
KFCF (Fresno, CA).  I am using Hauppauge TV/FM Stereo card for
input and a combination of Icecast (www.icecast.org) and my own
programs (http://www.lns.com/papers/mixice/) for MP3 streaming.

Send email if you want more info.

Tim
--
  Snail: Tim Pozar / LNS / 1978 45th Ave / San Francisco CA 94116 / USA
               POTS: +1 415 665 3790  Radio: KC6GNJ / KAE6247