Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 2002 18:47:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      S F <snf_lists@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Moving to new ip's - can I multihome/set up dual gateways/ip's or does this not make sense?

I have searched the archives and usenet groups and
this question seems to have come up in some form or
another, but as far as I can see, not with the same
circumstances.
I have a FreeBSD 4.5 machine on two class C 10.
networks.  I am moving from one set of ip addresses to
another (from 1 public ip to 5) and have been trying
to slowly move over the servers that I have (email,
dns and web).  I am having a big problem, however,
with my email server.  It has two ip addresses
assigned to the nic, 10.20.155.10 and 10.6.18.10 (both
subnet masks are 255.255.255.0).  Both of those 10.
networks are being supplied a nat connection to the
internet by two separate nat/routers (Linksys) on two
different IP's.  The default router is 10.20.155.1 per
the rc.conf file.  The box answers all requests fine
from the 10.20.155.x network, but if it gets a request
from the 10.6.18.x network, it must be sending the
replies out the 10.20.155.x interface, thus the
machine making the port 25, etc requests, does not
hear the replies.
Here is the question: I am not trying to create a
bridge and the current setup is only temporary - i.e.
until dns changes are made world-wide.  Is there a way
to set this machine up so it will answer back through
the appropriate interface/gateway - i.e. if a request
comes into the 10.20.155.x network, it answers via
that gateway and if it comes in the 10.6.18.x network,
it answers via that gateway?  Can I do this without
setting up some type of nat concoction?  If what I am
looking to do is really *not* possible with fbsd, how
would someone make this type of changeover (which
requires updating of dns entries worldwide) without
dealing with what can often be days of apparent
downtime?

TIA,
SF