Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2012 21:48:59 +0000 (UTC)
From:      rondzierwa@comcast.net
To:        Xin LI <delphij@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS Checksum errors

ok, i ran a verify on the raid, and it completed, so I believe that, from the hardware standpoint, da0 should be a functioning, 12TB disk.

i did a zpool clear and re-ran the scrub, and the results were almost identical:

phoenix# zpool status -v zfsPool
pool: zfsPool
state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
corruption. Applications may be affected.
action: Restore the file in question if possible. Otherwise restore the
entire pool from backup.
see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
scrub: scrub completed after 3h39m with 6353 errors on Thu Jun 21 17:28:10 2012
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
zfsPool ONLINE 0 0 6.20K
da0 ONLINE 0 0 12.5K 24K repaired

errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:

zfsPool/raid:<0x9e241>
zfsPool/Build:<0x0>
phoenix#

along with the 6,353 I/O errors, there were over 12,000 checksum mismatch errors on the console.

The recommendation from ZFS is to restore the file in question. At this point, I would just like to delete the two files.
how do i do that?

its these kind of antics that make me resistant to the thought of allowing ZFS to manage the raid. it seems to be having problems just managing a big file system. I don't want it to correct anything, or restore anything, just let me delete the files that hurt, fix up the free space list so it doesn't point outside the bounds of the disk, and get on with life.

if its finding corrupted files that appear to not have a directory entry associated with them (unlinked files), why doesn't it just delete them? fsck asks you if you want to delete unlinked files, why doesn't zfs do the same, or at least give you the option of deleting bad files when it finds them?

this is causing a lot of down time, and its making linux look very attractive in my organization. how do I get this untangled short of reformatting and starting over?

ron.