Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 1996 22:01:46 -0600
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net (David Kelly)
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        wangel@wgrobez1.remote.louisville.edu, dbaker@crash.ops.neosoft.com
Subject:   Re: NexGen CPU?

Gary Roberts <wangel@wgrobez1.remote.louisville.edu> replied:

>The NExtGEN cpu are junk.  They are faster in some cases then the intel,
>but they do not have an floating point chips or whatnot, you have to use
>'emulators' that emulate floating point processes.

FPU NexGens have been available for the past couple of months. Non-FPU
NexGens perform sometimes a bit better, sometimes a bit worse, than
comparable Pentium CPUs on non-FPU tasks. I don't have a NexGen with FPU so
I don't know how well it works.

FreeBSD 2.1R runs just fine on my NexGen PCI-90. The standard FreeBSD FPU
emulator also works fine but it *is* slower than Christmas. Otherwise my
NexGen is quite a screamer and has totally lived up to my expectations. The
term "junk" used above is totally out of place.

One rainy day I plan on testing the Pentium-specific optimizations in gcc
and see if they help a NexGen.

--
David Kelly N4HHE,   n4hhe@amsat.org,    dkelly@hiwaay.net
                - Thomas Edison