Date:      Thu, 30 Sep 1999 08:44:55 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Harold Gutch <logix@foobar.franken.de>, Ben Rosengart <ben@skunk.org>, Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to avoid bullets in the feet (was Re: HEADS UP: sigset_t  changescommitted)

Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> What's really needed is some warning sort of like what we
> did when the AOUT->ELF convertion happened, there has
> to be a simple way to test this as part of installworld.

	I think this would help. It also leads me to a request that's been in mind
for a while, namely a way to detect that someone is attempting to go from
2.2.x to 3.x or 4.x via 'make world' which will abort the procedure and
tell them about 'make upgrade'. I was going to try and figure this out
myself, and still will if no one else takes it, but this would stop about 3
letters to -questions per week, and much more as time goes on and more
people upgrade.

Doug