Date:      Mon, 26 May 2008 00:06:33 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org, arch@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   HEADS UP: netatm removed (was: Re: netatm removal warning)

On Wed, 21 May 2008, Robert Watson wrote:

>> 10 March 2008			E-mail warning to arch@/net@
>> 10 April 2008			E-mail warning to arch@/net@
>> 10 May 2008			Removal of netatm from HEAD
>> 20 May 2008			Removal of netatm from RELENG_7
>>
>> Obviously, netatm will remain in the revision control history should anyone
>> wish to ressurect it after that date.  However, I suspect that those
>> interested in ATM on FreeBSD have long since been using Harti's netgraph
>> ATM framework.
>
> Somehow the dates slipped pasted more quickly than I had hoped -- this is
> the HEADS UP that, on a slightly delayed schedule, I will be trimming netatm
> from the src tree for HEAD, and then a week or two later, from RELENG_7.
> Assuming all goes well, this should result in no functional change at all.

Per the long-announced schedule, netatm has now been removed from the CVS
HEAD.  Assuming no unexpected problems, it will likewise be removed from
RELENG_7 in a few weeks.  I apologize in advance if there's any build
disruption; this touched a lot of Makefiles, and while netatm hasn't been
connected to the build in ten months, there is always a risk of problems with
a change of this scope.  I'll keep an eye out for tinderbox warnings and
correct as quickly as possible if any arise.

Thanks,

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge