Date:      Mon, 7 Feb 2011 18:08:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        =?utf-8?Q?Tom=C3=A1=C5=A1_Drbohlav?= <drb@karlov.mff.cuni.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFSv4 ACLs on NFS4 mount ?

> Hello,
>
> I have 8.1-RELEASE running ZFS and NFS4 experimantal server and I
> wonder, what is the status of NFS4 ACLs? I see them work on ZFS
> fileystems directly mounted but when mounted via NFS4 (even on the
> same
> machine), getfacl returns 'old' POSIX form instead of NFSv4 ACLs. By
> digging mailng list archive I got to know that this 'should' work but
> for me it doesn't.

Thanks to George spotting it recently, they should work if you apply
the ACL related patches found at:
  http://people.freebsd.org/~rmacklem

For 8.1/ZFS, you'll see that there is one for the client side (adds
VOP_PATHCONF() support to the client), plus one for the server that
is in head, stable/8 but not 8.1. (It replaces a VOP_ACCESS() with a
VOP_ACCESSX().)

Also, although I think that 8.1 has everything else you need except the
two patches, I'll admit that I haven't tested anything that is pre-8.2
with these patches. (ie. You might also need an 8.2 upgrade, but hopefully
not.)

Good luck with them, rick