Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2000 11:31:01 -0400
From:      "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Subject:   Re: inheriting the "nodump" flag ?

David O'Brien wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 12:15:24AM -0400, Jeroen C. van Gelderen wrote:
> > The NetBSD dump seems to be more evolved than the FreeBSD
> > version. I've partially merged the NetBSD changes into our
> > dump, just enough so that the 'nodump' flag is handled
> > properly.
>
> Actually the patch has more than just 'nodump'.  You've done a lot of
> style changes too. :-(

I actually meant to say that only the nodump changes were
guaranteed to be merged fully. I think all of the NetBSD
version ought to be merged and the chances of overlooking
bits are much lower when you merge most of the code.

> > It's bigger than strictly neccessary but I have tried to
> > minimize the diffs between the two BSDs.
>
> Which should not be done at the same time.

What's the reason? If our version is the same as theirs
we won't have any bugs they don't have, right?

> OK, I will now go out on a limb and say I'll handle the 'nodump' changes
> to dump on Monday.  So nobody, please do the same.

What about merging the rest of the NetBSD stuff? What do
you suggest?
--
Jeroen C. van Gelderen          o      _     _         _
jeroen@vangelderen.org  _o     /\_   _ \\o  (_)\__/o  (_)