Date:      Thu, 02 Aug 2001 20:52:09 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, craig <craiglei@pasia.com.cn>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>
Subject:   Re: How to visit physical memory above 4G?

> > No
> > The space is linear in physical space and if you have PCI/64
> > capable devices they can access it all too.
> >
> > (In fact 64 bit addresses have been supported even in 32 bit wide PCI
> > since day 1).
>
> OK, then what was that whole paging thing everyone was talking about, I
> thought that was partially done in hardware on the chipset of the
> motherboard... or was that completely in the operating system?

Julian is on crack.  DAC (Double Address Cycle) is a relatively recent
addition to PCI that allows 32-bit cards with 64-bit savvy logic to talk
to host memory using 64-bit target addresses.

Older systems used a scatter-gather mechanism to present a virtualised
view of the system's physical address space to the PCI bus (typically
you'll see this in Alpha systems).