Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 2002 20:34:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth Culver <culverk@alpha.yumyumyum.org>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Ports <FreeBSD-Ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: gcc -O -mcpu=i686 -howtooverride=486?

According to man gcc:

-mcpu=cpu type
              Assume  the  defaults for the machine type CPU TYPE
              when scheduling instructions.  The choices for  CPU
              TYPE are: i386, i486, i586 (pentium), pentium, i686
              (pentiumpro), and pentiumpro.  While picking a spe-
              cific  CPU  TYPE will schedule things appropriately
              for that particular chip,  the  compiler  will  not
              generate  any  code  that  does not run on the i386
              without the -march=cpu type option being used.

       -march=cpu type
              Generate instructions  for  the  machine  type  CPU
              TYPE.   The  choices  for CPU TYPE are: i386, i486,
              pentium,  and  pentiumpro.   Specifying  -march=cpu
              type implies -mcpu=cpu type

Ken