Date:      Fri, 8 Jan 1999 00:29:17 -0800
From:      Steve Watt <steve@Watt.COM>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IRQ entropy causes panics?

On Fri, Jan 08, 1999 at 10:23:02AM +0200, Mark Murray wrote:
> Steve Watt wrote:
> > I'm not hooking IRQ 0; rather, it's the IRQ that pci bus 0 happens to
> > route to, irq 10.  However, if I hook all of 3,4,5,7,9,10,12,14,15 I get
> > a system that panics on a *very* regular basis.  With that list, the system
> > will almost always panic within an hour.
>
> OK - on a system with no IRQs hooked, please stare at the screen
> that "systat 2 -vmstat" gives you; any irq that has a high rate
> may be a problem (I have some doubts about irq9 as well).

The IRQ that my PPP link is on is often (and is at the moment) high-rate,
for some definition thereof.  It's seeing about 800 int/sec, eyeball
averaged.  Thank goodness for 16550s; that's a 128k ISDN modem, the
port's running 115.2k.

What it sounds like is that I shouldn't use "high rate" (for some
definition thereof -- more than the clock irqs?) things to feed
the entropy pool.  That probably ought to be documented somewhere.