Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2008 23:52:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Scott Bennett <bennett@cs.niu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, pitney.brad@googlemail.com
Subject:   Re: X.org 7.3 fails during startup, claiming font not found

     On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 00:04:10 +0000 "Brad Pitney"
<pitney.brad@googlemail.com> wrote:
>On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:25 PM, Scott Bennett <bennett@cs.niu.edu> wrote:
>>  [..]
>>  Fatal server error:
>>  could not open default font 'fixed'
>>                                   Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
>
># cd ports/x11-fonts/font-alias
># make build install clean

     Thank you ever so much!  That did get it to start up okay.  However,
the next troubles in line are an error message from putty when it fails
to make a connection to a remote system,

PuTTY: unable to load font "-bitstream-terminal-medium-r-normal-*-*-140-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1"

and the fact that Firefix hangs Xorg the first time I click on anything
involving in its window.  Unfortunately, the only way I've been able to
regain control of the system is to manually turn it off and back on again.

>check the archives :)

     You're right, of course.  I had forgotten that lynx(1) was installed,
though it often can't handle modern web pages and is generally a pain to use.
I'll see what I can do, but using lynx to browse the freebsd-* archives may
prove to be a waste of time.
     Any help with either of the above two problems will be gratefully
appreciated.  And thanks again for the font information, Brad!

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG