Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2001 19:12:59 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        ddavid@ican.net (David)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Greetings

> It's been quite awhile, hope everyone's doing fine.
>
> I've been trying to get a handle on designing webpages using php and a
> database, and was wandering if someone might have some time to give a
> practical overview of actually "doing" it in real time.
>
> I ask because sometimes a non-technically educated older person needs a
> hands on demo  to get the magical "click" happening up stairs.
>
> This would be for FreeBSD or even OpenBSD, and i would imagine a
> computer of some sort would be neccessary.
>
> The only thing i can offer at present would be too pick up the bill at
> a pizza place or even a fish restaurant for one's dining pleasure.
>
> Or for the more adventurous i could arrange a couple night's stay in
> Machu Picchu here: ( airfare not included :)

There are a couple of fair books on PHP.

I suggest:

Php Essentials (Prima Tech Linux Series)
Julie C. Meloni
ISBN: 076152729X

I don't have this next one, but people seem to like it:

MySQL/PHP Database Application
Jay Greenspan, Brad Bulger
ISBN: 0764535374

Unfortunately, most PHP documentation is lacking.  I personally have
no use for the books with the Red covers with the black and white
photos.  I also have yet to see a decent reference for displaying
MIME content in a browser properly, without a lot of overhead, or a
kludge class that the programmer rolled as an example for their
book, but failed to fully flesh out.

Also beware of books with licenses which don't permit you to use
their example code in products.

I've been tempted to write a PHP4 book that went into precise
details about some of the more esoteric topics, but I would want
to wait for a major release, so that it doesn't find itself
immediately outdated.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---