Date:      Fri, 05 Jan 2001 10:21:25 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI device timeouts.

In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0101050921531.60783-100000@pogo.caustic.org>,
"f.joha
n.beisser" writes:

> i've been having a problem as of late, that's not really gone away.
>
> from the console log:
> (da0:ahc0:0:0:0): SCB 0x3 - timed out while idle, SEQADDR == 0x4
> STACK == 0x1, 0x174, 0x15e, 0x0
>
> i get one of these errors, and after that, the disk does not recover at
> all. in this case, it's my main disk.
>
> any thoughts or advice on this?

I just had this problem on one of my machines at home last week.  It
turned out that the disk had 6 bad blocks that the disk's firmware
would not reassign, probably because the error was a hard error.  As I
didn't want to purchase another disk (I have a mortgage to pay off), a
read/verify to reassign the bad blocks solved the problem.  If I had
this problem here at work, I'd have replaced the disk.

As and aside, if you want to take a look at your SCSI disk's primary
(from the factory) and grown (detected by the disk's firmware or
through a read/verification) defect lists issue,

camcontrol defects 0:0:0 -f phys -P
camcontrol defects 0:0:0 -f phys -G

Replace 0:0:0 with the physical address of the disk you want to display
defects for.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC