Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 1999 11:11:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        n_hibma@webweaving.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Possible solution for USB Ethernet problem

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Nick Hibma had
to walk into mine and say:

> Nice catch (of yet another stupidity in the UHCI controllers).
>
> In 1.3.1 they say that 'the preSOF point also prevents a packet that may
> not fit in the remaining frame period from being initiated.' So the UHCI
> controller should not start a 64 byte transfer if the MAXP is not set.
>
> What happens probably is that the controller does start it and ends up
> overruning its SOF.
>
> The reason for not setting it is that using a MAXP of 32 is more
> efficient. However, up to now I;ve not seen a device with a packet size
> of 32 (only 64, 16 and smaller). So switching it on should be no
> problem.

It better not be, since this is the only way this device will work.
Leave it to me to get all the oddball hardware.

> You have a 'Intel 82371SB (PIIX3) USB controller' ? If so, we might be
> looking at a problem with the 1.0 specification. (please post
> 'dmesg|grep USB'). I have never had a BABBLE error here, which indicates
> to me that there was a problem with the 82371SB, which has been solved
> in the AB/EB.

isab0: <Intel 82371AB PCI to ISA bridge> at device 7.0 on pci0
isa0: <ISA bus> on isab0
ata-pci0: <Intel PIIX4 ATA controller> at device 7.1 on pci0
ata-pci0: Busmastering DMA supported
ata0 at 0x01f0 irq 14 on ata-pci0
uhci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> irq 11 at device 7.2 on pci0
usb0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> on uhci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1

So this is an AB/EB hub. The machine is a Dell Latitude CPi R400GT
laptop, running FreeBSD 4.0-19991221-CURRENT.

Note that there appears to be abother unrelated problem, which is that
kldloading the usb KLD module into a kernel without USB support compiled
in doesn't work: the machine panics immediately after printing the
"uhci0: <Intel blah blah blah>" line above. I bet a quarter it's trying
to do yet another tsleep() when it's not really able to.

-Bill