Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 12:11:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ken Bolingbroke <hacker@bolingbroke.com>
To:        ann kok <annkok2001@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: don't understand the message in maillog

On Sun, 17 Feb 2002, ann kok wrote:

> Dear all
>
> I would like to know how this message is in the
> maillog
> of the mail server?
>
> What is this meaning? Is it using our mail server?
>
> Feb 17 04:11:31 email sendmail[24444]: EAA24444:
> from=<jone001@hotmail.com>, size=0, class=0, pri=0,
> nrcpts=0, proto=SMTP, relay=[208.254.57.2]

Most of the meaning is in the message itself.  Breaking it down with the
more interesting parts:

 from=<jone001@hotmail.com> <-- This was a message coming from
                                jone001@hotmail.com

 size=0  <-- The size of the message.  0 means no message, basically,
             probably because the message was rejected.

 nrcpts=0  <-- The number of recipients.  0 means no recipients, probably
               because it was sent to an unknown user, or the sender
               address was rejected by some anti-spam rules.

 relay=[208.254.57.2]  <-- The message is coming from this IP address

It's probably nothing you need to worry about, unless you're seeing some
problem in your mail delivery that appears to relate to this log message.

Ken Bolingbroke
hacker@bolingbroke.com