Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 15:00:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeff Bartig <jeffb@doit.wisc.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ifconfig alias and de0: abnormal interrupt error

Hello,

I have set up several FreeBSD 2.2.6 systems recently.  I have run into
a problem when trying to do add virtual interfaces.  When I run the
first ifconfig alias command, either from the command line or by adding
it in the /etc/rc.conf file, I get the following logged to syslog:

    /kernel: de0: abnormal interrupt: receive process stopped

After this point, I am no longer able to ping any IP number associated
with this interface from another system.  The problem can usually be
corrected by either generating some traffic from the system using ping
or by issuing an ifconfig down followed by an ifconfig up command.

Some details:

    Motherboard:  Supermicro P6SKS
    chip0 <Intel 82440FX (Natoma) PCI and memory controller> rev 2 on pci0:0:0
    chip1 <Intel 82371SB PCI-ISA bridge> rev 1 on pci0:7:0

    Ethernet:  2 SMC 8432T Ethernet Cards
    de0 <Digital 21041 Ethernet> rev 33 int a irq 9 on pci0:18:0
    de0: SMC 21041 [10Mb/s] pass 2.1

    FreeBSD:  2.2.6-RELEASE
    kernel rebuilt with security patches applied

I have tried the following:

1.  Swapped ethernet cards.
2.  Removed one of the ethernet cards
3.  Booted using the original FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE kernel
4.  Tried ifconfig alias on another identical system

None of these have eliminated the error.  I have also tried this same
ifconfig command on a 2.2.5 system, but I have been unable to reproduce
the error on that system.  Details on this system are:

    Motherboard:  Supermicro P6DNE
    chip0 <Intel 82440FX (Natoma) PCI and memory controller> rev 2 on pci0:0
    chip1 <Intel 82371SB PCI-ISA bridge> rev 1 on pci0:7:0

    Ethernet: SMC 8432T
    de0 <Digital 21041 Ethernet> rev 17 int a irq 9 on pci0:18
    de0: SMC 21041 [10Mb/s] pass 1.1

I looked a bit at sys/pci/if_de.c, but I don't see anything major that
changed between 2.2.5 and 2.2.6.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?  Does anyone have any further
debugging suggestions?

Thanks,

Jeff

--
Jeff Bartig                  |  University of Wisconsin - Madison
1210 W Dayton, Rm 3219       |  Division of Information Technology