Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 1996 15:50:23 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Beck Peccoz Amedeo <gea@masternet.it>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   new netstat line

<<On Wed, 26 Jun 1996 22:15:25 +0200, Beck Peccoz Amedeo <gea@masternet.it> said:

> The -current is giving me a strange 'netstat -r' result. I'm referring
> to the line with ff:ff:ff... I didn't get it with the 2.1.0. What does
> such a line mean?

It represents a broadcast address.  If you send a broadcast, a record
of this form gets automatically created (because doing so speeds up IP
output).

> 10.0.0.255         ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff  UHLWb       1       47       vx0
  IP broadcast       Ether broadcast        broadcast route flag

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.