Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 10:52:17 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        otter <otter@starnetinc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need help bad

otter wrote:

> Hi,
>         OK, I'll admit it I'm just starting out in UNIX.  My problem is this: I
> have FreeBSD setup right and everything appears OK.  I cannot start X
> Windows.  Yes I installed it using the setup when I put BSD on.  I go into
> the /usr/X11R6/bin directory and type in startx and basically all of the
> other executables.  Nothing happens except I get a file not found error.  I
> believe I am using the bash shell, and nothing seems to work.  Even with
> SuperUser power I can't reboot or shutdown with the /sbin/shutdown series
> of commands.  I am using a Matrox Millennium and have installed it to a JAZ
> drive.  I am using FreeBSD 2.1.7.  Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> thanks in advance
> Mike Edwards
> otter@starnetinc.com

Make sure you have /usr/X11R6/bin in your path. Changing into that
directory doesn't help because (unlike MS-DOG) the current directory is,
by default, not in the path (for many good reasons that tend to start
religious wars, so I won't repeat them...). Just add it to your path and
it should be working.

Second, what do you mean by "can't reboot or shutdown with
/sbin/shutdown". What does happen?

Nadav