Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 03:55:23 +0200
From:      Harold Gutch <logix@foobar.franken.de>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        The <FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Missing CVS $Id strings

On Mon, Sep 14, 1998 at 11:33:09AM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:

> > >From the passwd(5) manpage:
> >      Lines whose first non-whitespace character is a pound-sign (#) are com-
> >      ments, and are ignored.  Blank lines which consist only of spaces, tabs
> >      or newlines are also ignored.
> >
> > Note that the last I remember is that this is incorrect in
> > -STABLE (see some -stable archive for more on this topic, the
> > subject was "Finger and getpwent").
>
> This should be submitted as a bug.  Try putting a line beginning with
> ``#'' in your passwd via ``vipw'' on current....

As I don't run -CURRENT, i can't say anything on this topic, the
comment-stuff definitely is somehow broken in -STABLE (at least it
can can be called a documentation bug).

To fresh up this whole case again, in the end the 2.2-manpage says:

[...]
     updated to properly support netgroups in FreeBSD 2.0.5.  Support for com-
     ments first appeared in FreeBSD 3.0.

which doesn't quite fit for a 2.2-manpage (yes, the manpage is
correct for 2.2 too, as it says that this behaviour is new in
3.0, still it shouldn't be in a 2.2-manpage IMHO).

Due to me not running -CURRENT, I can't say anything on the
degree of brokenness of this feature there, but nethertheless IMO
it shouldn't be mentioned in the manpage before it's working.

--
bye, logix

<Shabby> Sleep is an abstinence syndrome wich occurs due to lack of caffein.
Wed Mar  4 04:53:33 CET 1998   #unix, ircnet