Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2006 00:14:41 +0200
From:      Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sync files locally?

Paul Schmehl wrote:
> What's the best way to sync files locally?
>
> I'm running rsync over ssh to backup files from a server.  Now I'm setting
> up a new server, so I rsynced to it as well.  The files end up in a subdir
> of my home directory, because my account is being used for the rsync.  I've
> been using cp -R to put them in the right place on the server and the chmod
> and chown to get the perms right, but I'm thinking there has to be a way to
> sync the files locally so that only the ones that have changed or are new
> have to be copied to the right place.
>
> I can use find to set the perms, but I'm not sure how to sync the files.
> This is unix, so there's got to be a built-in utility that does this, but I
> can't seem to find it.

It's really a question of reading far enough in the man-page. I have
eventually arrived at the options

   -Cptuvaz

C for CVS omissions (exclude *.bak, *.tmp, *~ etc)
p for preserve permisions
t for preserving time
u for update (using mtime I suppose)
a for archive - recursive
z for compression

and with that, there should be no reason to sync into a separate dir and
then copy.

Cheers, Erik
--
Ph: +34.666334818                      web: http://www.locolomo.org