Date:      Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:17:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        mav@wastegate.net (doug reynolds)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dump/restore indexing question

> I have freebsd 4.10 on one of my production servers.
>
> I have been using the dump/restore combo to backup my drive, and I run a
> nightly dump -9 on the /home partition, and most of the dump -9s are
> dumped to a single tape since I don't have daily acs to swap the tapes
> more than once a month or so.
>
> I'm wondering if there is a utility that can index the dumps on a tape
> and list the time/date for each dump on the tape.  I looked through the
> dump/restore/mt  man pages, google'd, and looked though the ports
> without much luck.

Well, you could do a 'restore -t' on the tape and pipe the output to a file.
You would have to reposition the tape and then run the restore on it.
Then you might have to sort it to suit yourself.

Lack of a good index feature is a major deficiency of dump/restore from
my point of view.

Also, I hope you do an occasional dump 0 and not all just dump 9.

////jerry