Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2006 20:36:34 -0500
From:      Jonathan Fosburgh <jonathan@fosburgh.org>
To:        amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD/i386 inside a jail on FreeBSD/amd64

I am trying to setup a jail on my amd64 system (6.1-STABLE).  I have the jail
installed and I can log into it, even remotely (it is running on a private
IP, I am using pf with rdr rules). However, certain things are not working:
First, ps doesn't work right.  I have procfs enabled and /proc on the jail
does have entries, but commands such as ps and top fail.  ps just prints out
the column headers, and top fails with kvm_open: kinfo_proc size mismatch
(expected 768, got 1088).  I assume this is due to actually using the amd64
procfs.  Is there anyway to make this work? One of the things I am trying to
do is make wine work, but since the jail uses the amd64 kernel, there is no
user_ldt and so wine fails.  I have seen that at least some Linux distros
(Ubuntu comes to mind) use chroot environments to run wine on amd64, and I
was hoping that something similar could be done in FreeBSD.  Does anyone have
pointers?