Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 07:47:05 +0100
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Jon Bailey <jonb@matchlogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/src/contrib -> /usr/src/gnu ?

On Mon, Feb 22, 1999 at 05:53:26PM -0700, Jon Bailey wrote:
> Shouldn't a handful of utils under /usr/src/contrib live under /usr/src/gnu
> , or perhaps all be condensed in a /usr/src/contrib/gnu ?
>
>                 :-)

How does it come that you ask me ? ;-)

Well, /usr/src/contrib is the _new_ (since about 1-2 years) place
to include software on a vendor branch bases, that doesn't have the
BSD Copyright. In /usr/src/gnu we create a file hierarchie, that
reflects the placement of the imported stuff in contrib. There you
also find the Makefiles in the Berkeley-make format.
It's history, that you still find some sources in /usr/src/gnu.
But people are clever and want to save work by waiting for a
reason, before they start to nuke the stuff in /usr/src/gnu and
reimport it under the contrib section. So you have some GNU sources
in contrib and gnu, but it's merging to have every GNU source in
the contrib section and only the "bmaked" Makefiles in src/gnu,
that only point to the sources in contrib.

I'll drop a copy of this into freebsd-questions, so this answer
will be searchable via the mailing list ...

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm                                http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas
     What gives you 90% more speed, for example, in kernel compilation ?