Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 2004 17:34:30 +0200
From:      Rumen Telbizov <altares@e-card.bg>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD + Rainbow Cryptoswift

Thank for the reply Mike.

I took a look at those cards (vpn1201 and vpn1211).
They don't seem to have AES support and only support
2-8 RSA connections/sec. Rainbow say that their cards
support 1000 RSA connections/sec which is quite astonishing.
The vpn1401 and vpn1411 seem to have better performance but
as you said the hifn(4) driver support is broken for those :(

Anyway it would be interesting for me if you share your
opinion about the performance you gained from those (1201 - 1211)
cards in comparison to the software computations.
It would be nice if tell me how much did you pay for these
cards because there are no prices on the site!

I read in a mailing list that the Rainbow's card (cryptoswift)
is 1000 GBP.

An interesing topic is if this performance could be gained
with an smp machine (say 2-4 xeons + lots of RAM) instead
of paying 1000 GBP for a card.

I am still new in this research but there are no representatives
in my country nor there are prices on the vendors' sites and
I cannot make any comparison.

I would greatly appreciate all your hints.

Rumen Telbizov